We are looking for a collaborative Director of Software Development who can work in a fast-paced environment, has incredibly high standards, and is passionate about continuous improvement. In this role YOU will actively lead your organization to drive skill development and nurture the talents of your team, and recruit, hire, and mentor exceptional engineering talent. YOU will work closely with business stakeholders to establish and drive a long-term product development strategy and roadmap. YOU will make an impact by developing and advancing customer-facing applications using cutting-edge microservices to meet needs and drive revenue. Leveraging the latest technologies, YOU will lead the investigation of new software solutions and vendors to deliver quality solutions at enterprise scale. YOU will refine and streamline the entire software development life cycle, set priorities to build agile and scalable technology solutions, and ensure timely and effective product launches. YOU will work closely with the CITO and IT Leadership Team to provide best-in-class service to our customers.
Why work with LifeWay IT (tech.lifeway.com)?
LifeWay is one of the world’s largest providers of Christian resources, and we are expanding our global footprint having recently incorporated in India and Mexico. As one of 2019 Forbes Best Midsize Employers and one of the largest IT teams in Nashville, LifeWay IT is as innovative with technology solutions as we are with employee work-life balance, work environment, and culture.
Working at LifeWay, we are surrounded by people who love the Lord deeply, and want to reach people for the gospel. With respect and like a family, we collaboratively partner to design trustworthy experiences that fuel ministry. We are always seeking innovative ways to serve the Church comprehensively for every ministry area. Because we care about this purpose and each other, there's a genuine atmosphere of trust - we want our work and interactions to be rooted in truth. The work we do here at LifeWay is used as a vehicle for the Lord to transform lives through the gospel.
- Lead Consumer Solutions team in the development and deployment of software engineering capabilities in support of business outcomes.
- Provide input and insight into the strategic technology and product portfolio roadmap from a software perspective; work with product owners to understand desired application capabilities.
- Define KPIs, set targets, and deliver on department performance expectations.
- Define Insource vs Outsource strategy to reduce expenses, increase speed to market, and improve quality.
- Translate business requirements into final products; define a vision, goals, and strategies for meeting current and future software development needs, while ensuring alignment with the overall vision, mission, and values of the corporation.
- Establish and ensure consistent, quality architectural standards and practices; facilitate architectural reviews and continuous improvement of software engineering practices. Oversee quality and automation engineers to improve test coverage and efficiency.
- Manage application development teams, including resource planning, staffing, and recruiting activities; mentor, guide, and manage the performance and development of team members including meeting regularly to understand needs and opportunities for growth and development.
- Work within and across Agile teams to design, develop, test, implement, and support technical solutions across a full-stack of development tools and technologies.
- Bring a passion to stay on top of tech trends, encourage innovation and a culture of collaboration by experimenting with and learning new technologies.
- Lead efforts to deploy new and existing applications into AWS environments.
- Break existing monolithic applications into microservice architectures and build new microservices.
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
- 10+ years of experience leading teams that develop commercially successful software products
- 5+ years experience in Agile practices
- Substantial technical expertise with enterprise-level, N-tier web applications
- Expertise in using project planning and management software; experience driving large technical projects from conception to production
- Ability to play architect role and design solutions for complex business problems and integration issues
- Ability to apply analytical and problem-solving skills to solve complex design and coding challenges
- Working knowledge of software build, packaging, release management, and installation process
- Ability to help team members work through conflict in a positive manner and get to resolution
- Familiarity with and technical understanding of the following technologies:
- Cloud Computing (including AWS)
- Development experience creating JVM REST APIs
- Serverless, cloud-based, and event-driven architectures
- Programming languages like Java, C#, etc.
- Domain Driven Design concepts
- Node.js as a standalone application server or AWS Lambda Runtime
- Contributor to or consumer of Open Source Frameworks.
- Understanding of Single Page Applications
- SQL and a variety of RDBMS environments (MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLServer, Oracle, etc.)
- NoSQL databases like MongoDB, DynanoDB, Cassandra, etc.
- Git version control system, build tools such as Maven, Gradle, SBT, NPM, etc.
- Continuous Integration tools like GoCD, AWS CodeBuild CodePipeline, Jenkins or Bamboo
- Docker, Kubernetes or other container technologies.
- Pragmatic, analytical, and business skills in the retail, publishing or ecommerce industry preferred
- Master’s degree in business or related field
- Experience with DevOps and Cloud hosting environments such as MS Azure, DigitalOcean, AWS, Heroku, etc.
- Experience with Chef, Ansible, Puppet, or any server infrastructure management solutions
Nashville, TN, United States